Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is an essential water-soluble vitamin that plays a vital role in numerous bodily processes. In this article, we will explore the forms, benefits, symptoms of deficiency, recommended doses, interesting facts, and the inclusion of vitamin B12 in myPEAK Wellness, An Award-Winning Vegan Multivitamin. Methylcobalamin is the active form in the body and thus in our opinion the best form.
Forms of Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 exists in several forms, including cyanocobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, methylcobalamin, and adenosylcobalamin.
Benefits of Vitamin B12:
- Energy Metabolism: B12 plays a crucial role in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, aiding in the production of cellular energy.
- Nervous System Health: Vitamin B12 contributes to the maintenance of a healthy nervous system.
- Red Blood Cell Formation: B12 is involved in the production of red blood cells, supporting oxygen transport throughout the body.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency: Deficiency in vitamin B12 can lead to various symptoms, including:
- Megaloblastic anemia
- Fatigue and weakness
- Nerve damage and tingling sensations
- Memory and cognitive issues
Recommended Doses: The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms (mcg) per day for adults. However, individuals with certain conditions or following specific diets may require higher amounts. It is advisable to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.
Interesting Facts about Vitamin B12:
- Vitamin B12 is primarily found in animal-based foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs.
- It is produced by certain bacteria and is synthesized in the colon, but the absorption occurs primarily in the small intestine.
myPEAK Wellness, Multiple Award-Winning Vegan Multivitamin includes a boosted blend of vitamin B12 in its active methyl form, along with over 25 other essential nutrients and 70+ fulvic trace minerals from ElevATP® Ancient Peat and Apple Polyphenol Extract, and more to create the most comprehensive multivitamin on the market. This comprehensive multivitamin provides a reliable source of B12 for individuals following a vegan lifestyle or seeking to support energy metabolism, nervous system health, and red blood cell formation.
- National Institutes of Health. Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin B12. Retrieved from [insert reference link]
- Watanabe, F. (2007). Vitamin B12 sources and bioavailability. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 232(10), 1266-1274.