Supplements, when combined with proper nutrition and lifestyle changes can be tremendously beneficial. They can give that final push over the edge to support you body and give you the help you need to maintain that progress over time. When it comes to sleep, people have tried countless supplements and some work great, others not so much and therefore it can be confusing to sift through all the advice and all of the evidence. Our physician team has sifted through the evidence for you and created a list of the four most beneficial supplements to help support deep and rejuvenating sleep, so you can wake up fresh and ready to take on the day to live your best life.
Based on our evaluation, these are the four best supplements you can take for your sleep.
- Glycine: an amino acid that has been shown to improve sleep quality by lowering core body temperature. Research has also shown it to decrease how long it takes to fall asleep and reduce daytime sleepiness and fatigue the day after at doses of 3 grams. Plus it has a nice sweet taste!
- Melatonin: as discussed in our previous post, melatonin signals to your brain that it is nighttime and helps you fall asleep. Take physiological doses of 0.3-0.5 mg which works better than higher doses. Remember, more is not always better.
- Magnesium: Helps soothe the nerves and calm the muscles allowing for deeper relaxing sleep. The most effective form for sleep is magnesium glycinate, which is magnesium bound to glycine (as we mentioned earlier), for a two in one effect!
- Probiotics: Your gut plays a major role in regulating your brain through the gut-brain axis. A potent gut health blend such as one that includes probiotics, prebiotics, and polyphenols like quercetin can help you get deep and relaxing sleep while also rejuvenating your gut for the next day while you sleep.
Our specific brand recommendations for each of these are as follows (the ones we ourselves take and find the most beneficial and cost-efficient, but also chemical-free and high-quality and within the right dosages):
- Glycine: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOXU0N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Melatonin: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00166FXY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Magnesium: https://smile.amazon.com/Innate-vitality-Magnesium-Glycinate-500mg/dp/B07K5WDLBG/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=magnesium+glycinate&qid=1632079050&s=hpc&sr=1-7
- Probiotics/Prebiotics/Polyphenols: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NLCQMBX?ref=myi_title_dp
Check out our instagram @mypeak_ and tune into our sleep biohacking series!
If you want to learn more about sleep, tune into our 4 part blog series on how to optimize your sleep (link below)!